Thursday, November 9, 2006

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho

No, no, no, ...

I guess most authors are being pushed, either by their inner selfs and greed or by a publisher's dream of more gold at the end of a plausible second rainbow, to mechanically generate a number of stories that can be released onto the market while it's hot, after coming up with a bestseller like The Alchemist.

It's unfortunate that a good story by itself in many cases lacks the possibility to generate any revenue worth mentioning in book shops. Instead, it seems to be the author's name that's the most valuable asset in the book business nowadays. It's the author that sells, not the story in the book.

The Devil and Miss Prym, which I got just to have something to read on the beach, seems to be just like one of those stories, gaining a crowd (yes, I admit that I got it myself since I had read a few of Coelho's previous creations) only because of its author's popularity. It's definitely not one of Coelho's greater ones, I got through it quite fast since nothing really stood out.

No comments: